Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Welcome


Welcome to How I See It!

How I see It  is a brainstorm world for me to share with readers my "Dream World" of the Syracuse area. Hailing from the Metropolitan New York City area, just 15 minutes from the George Washington Bridge, I must admit I sometimes feel out of things to do in the city of Syracuse. I know I am not alone in my sentiments. Many friends, classmates and even professors have expressed similar frustrations --envisioning a better Syracuse.

We are sometimes left trying to remember what exactly pulled us to Syracuse in the first place. Of course, the prestigious institution of SU and its renowned academic offerings played a large roll in our ending up in Syracuse, NY. And for some, like myself, attending SU is a family tradition. I was born with orange blood running through my veins, and am a fourth generation SU student. Speaking to countless family members during my college application process, all SU alum had the same “best 4 years of their lives.” I am often left puzzled how this could be so, in a city with a skyrocketing crime rate where the sun rarely shines. They grew up the same way I did. When thinking about ways I could enhance my college experience, I often let my mind wander, thinking to myself ways the experience could be better.

What was it exactly I and my peers felt was lacking so much? What could enhance the Syracuse community and experience for students? I completely sympathize with the Syracuse community wanting to keep its down-to-earth feeling, and by no means am I trying to give Syracuse an 'Extreme Makeover' trying to make it the next NYC or LA. Think, more of a Hoboken style!

After all though, Syracuse is a city. Downtown Armory Square would share a similar vibe to that of Hoboken, NJ. And, Marshall Street which is immediate access for students, would have better selection shops more catered to today's SU community. So if you identify with any of these feelings at all, or just want to see How I See It, check out my post each week. Who knows? Maybe one way How I See It could become reality.

*How I See It  is not created to offend any persons: be it Syracuse locals, current students, or anyone else in the Syracuse community. There is already much to love about Syracuse. How I See It  is just a medium for me to express some ways I feel it could be improved. After all, it’s only how I see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment